Sunday, January 30, 2011

1/29/11 and 1/30/11 - Miracle Fruit

Two days..one post.  I firmly believe this topic deserves two days.  Last night, Rich and I hosted a Miracle Fruit party in our home.  It was quite the experiment for all involved.  The Miracle Fruit is this amazing berry that, once you chew it, makes all things that are normally sour taste sweet.  Now...if you know anything about me, you know I have a major sweet tooth.  For me, this is the find of a lifetime.  We found ours at the Papaya Tree Nursery in Granada Hills.

We prepared a variety of ordinary foods to taste: lemons, limes, grapefruit, bell peppers, garlic, sour cream, strawberries, pickles, vinegar etc...and invited guests to bring foods to test out as well.  My husband had chosen these little plastic containers to house the berries and this is the only photo I snapped that evening.  Once I tasted my first altered food, I knew I was not going to make it back to the camera for any more photos.


We opened our little boxes, and popped the dried berries in our mouths and chewed them up for about 30 seconds The berry itself tasted sort of like a dried cranberry. I enjoyed it, but some people tasted nothing and one person really seemed to dislike the flavor of the berry itself.  Immediately after chewing the berry, I noticed...nothing. I don't know what I expected, but my mouth felt and tasted the same as it always did.  

Then to the food.  I figured I'd start gently...a strawberry seemed like the safest bet. WORLD'S BEST STRAWBERRY! I'm telling you, this is what strawberries are supposed to taste like, I'm sure of it.  I was instantly hooked.  Lemons...intense lemon candy, Limes...the same.  Pickles...sweet?  Balsamic vinegar...amazing. Tomato Juice....koolaid?  It was just the most amazing thing. Forget the camera...I had to eat.  

I'm now pricing miracle fruit plants.  Seriously.  I think it may just make one heck of a birthday Valentines present to the girl with the sweet tooth.

Took a macro of the left over berries this morning. Powerful little suckers.


2 comments: