Thursday, February 12, 2015

2/12/15 - Day 43 - Simerman Dulcimer

I was doing my String Family lesson with my 3rd graders this week which meant that it was time to get out my "good" dulcimer.  I always tell the kids (and I don't think it's an exaggeration) that this is the most valuable thing I own, besides my car and my camera gear. I purchased this dulcimer in, I think, 2006...I can't really be sure exactly when.  But, I do know that this was the dulcimer of my dreams.  I must have bought (and sold) about 6 dulcimers before finally getting this one. It fit the bill in every way.  I prefer my dulcimer to have a sweet mellow sound over the characteristic twangy sound dulcimers often have.  I also have small hands which means that a dulcimer with a shorter vibrating string length is what I need.  This one also has a double back which means its good and loud. It has walnut sides and back (good for a warm sound) and I can't remember what the top is, but it smells divine! 

I honestly don't remember what I paid for it, but it's priceless to me.  While I can always get the same car or a replacement camera, my beloved dulcimer is not replaceable. The maker of this beautiful instrument passed just about a year after making this instrument, unexpectedly at the age of 45.  His instruments are very special and loved. There are about 850 Simerman dulcimers out there in the world and I am the fortunate and proud owner of  #801.

Life is so busy that I have kept this amazing instrument in its case for an entire year.  I'm ashamed of myself for that!  I really have to resolve to play it much more often!


3 comments:

  1. Amber, that is a beautiful story -- I am so glad you have it written down and shared. That you love and understand the value of music and the instruments that make the music you love is such a blessing. I remember when you bought it. I'm glad you are going to play it more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are very luckey to own a simerman. I was at his shop about 5 months before he passed and was going to have him make me a baratone like his personal one. Unfortunately he passed before I was able to order. Would love to find a simerman to buy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very luckey to own a simerman. I was at his shop about 5 months before he passed and was going to have him make me a baratone like his personal one. Unfortunately he passed before I was able to order. Would love to find a simerman to buy.

    ReplyDelete